Richard Hooker, The Works of Richard Hooker, vol. 1 
The Works of that Learned and Judicious Divine Mr. Richard Hooker with an Account of His Life and Death by Isaac Walton. Arranged by the Rev. John Keble MA. 7th edition revised by the Very Rev. R.W. Church and the Rev. F. Paget (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1888). 3 vols. Vol. 1.
This Title Is Available In The Following Formats:
|HTML||1.88 MB||This version has been converted from the original text. Every effort has been taken to translate the unique features of the printed book into the HTML medium.|
|HTML by Chapter||(varies)||View this title one chapter at a time.|
|Simplified HTML||1.88 MB||This layout is optimized for screen readers and other assistive devices for the visually impaired.|
|Facsimile PDF||25.45 MB|
This is a facsimile or image-based PDF made from scans of the original book.
|MARC Record||1.93 KB|
This file contains the MARC Record for this title and is part of the Online Library of Liberty Series at WorldCat.
A version compatible with Kindle (Mobi format).
|EBook PDF||2.19 MB|
This text-based PDF or EBook was created from the HTML version of this book and is part of the Portable Library of Liberty.
About this title:
Volume 1 of the writings of Richard Hooker, including the editor’s introduction and the first 4 Books of his best known work Of the Laws of Ecclesiastical Polity (1594-97).
About Liberty Fund:
Liberty Fund, Inc. is a private, educational foundation established to encourage the study of the ideal of a society of free and responsible individuals.
The text is in the public domain.
Fair use statement:
This material is put online to further the educational goals of Liberty Fund, Inc. Unless otherwise stated in the Copyright Information section above, this material may be used freely for educational and academic purposes. It may not be used in any way for profit.
- Note to the Sixth Edition.
- Note to the Seventh Edition.
- Additions and Corrections to the Seventh Edition.
- Editor’s Preface.
- Appendix to Preface.—no. II. Collation of the First Edition of G. Cranmer’s Letter On the New Church Discipline With Walton’s Edition, 1675. See In This Edition, Vol. II. P. 598—609. Editor’s Preface, Appendix 2.
- Appendix to Preface.—no. III. Editor’s Preface, Appendix 3. Memoranda For an Answer to the “ Christian Letter, ” Omitted In the Notes to This Edition 1 .
- To the Right Hon. and Right Rev. Father In God, George 1 , Lord Bishop of Winchester, Dean of His Majesty’s Chapel Royal, and Prelate of the Most Noble Order of the Garter.
- Preface to the First Edition of the Life of Hooker, Published In 1665.
- The Life of Mr. Richard Hooker.
- Of the Laws of Ecclesiastical Polity, Eight Books.
- To the Reader 1 .
- A Preface to Them That Seek (as They Term It) the Reformation of Laws 1 , and Orders Ecclesiastical, In the Church of England.
- The First Book. Concerning Laws and Their Several Kinds In General.
- The Second Book. Concerning Their First Position Who Urge Reformation In the Church of England: Namely, That Scripture Is the Only Rule of All Things Which In This Life May Be Done By Men.
- The Third Book. Concerning Their Second Assertion, That In Scripture There Must Be of Necessity Contained a Form of Church Polity, the Laws Whereof May In Nowise Be Altered.
- The Fourth Book. Concerning Their Third Assertion, That Our Form of Church Polity Is Corrupted With Popish Orders, Rites, and Ceremonies, Banished Out of Certain Reformed Churches, Whose Example Therein We Ought to Have Followed.